Tagged: ,

This topic contains 0 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ritesh Vishwas 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Ritesh Vishwas 

I am very weak in English, how I can improve it?

• #5060 Reply
     Rohit Manglik 
    Participant

Hi Ritesh,

This URL has covered almost all the major and minor steps you should take to improve english:

http://www.langports.com/100-things-you-can-do-to-improve-your-english/

Let me know if you are facing any problem in any particular part in English (for example grammar, written, spoken, vocab etc) so I can point you to necessary link. I will also try to get some free material for you so you can download and study.

Thanks

• #5072 Reply
     thepeacefulmind 

Hello Ritesh

having a good command over English language is very necessary today, its good that you are making effort in this direction. Here are some points that might help you further

• Reading : This is something that will help you the most. Read and read and read and read a lot. Try novels, magazines, newspapers, anything.. any topic that interests you. This will improve your grammar and your vocabulary.
    • Watch english shows : Watch some english series, movies or news. I know this might sound a bit silly but trust me it helps. you get to know to speak properly, correct use of phrases, etc. Use headphones, they help even more.
    • Converse Daily :  Try and make friends and interact will people with good communication skills.
  • #6306 Reply
     Olivia Das 

For verbal ability:

BOOKS

• Best book for Vocabulary- Word Power Made Easy, Norman Lewis
    • Best book for practicing verbal ability (MBA)- How to prepare for verbal ability and reading comprehension.(preferably 7th edition )
    • For normal job purposes (easier than CAT level)- Verbal and non-verbal Reasoning by R.S. Agarwala.

Apart from the above mentioned books, you have to read any good newspaper(eg-The Economist or Hindu) daily. Mark the words that you don’t understand and memorize there meanings! This would help a lot!

If you are not from a English medium background then start reading easier newspapers( The times of india etc.) And then gradually move towards the tougher ones as i mentioned above.

At the beginning it might be difficult but meanwhile it would be like a cake-walk!

For spoken English, you HAVE to participate in debate, extempore, GDs, i think this would help you. Else you can join some personality development classes for better results ?

Also watch movies and series!! Watch  F.R.I.E.N.D.S series. That would be blessings in disguise! 😉

• #7124 Reply
     Mugeera Patel 

Start reading everything that you get your hands on.
    Learn new words and try using them in your daily sentences, one easy way of doing this is to read newspapers. Also There is A book of Norman Lewis called word power made easy. It help you understand the deepest root/sounds of words and in what context they are to be used.
    Start thinking in english
    Very often english is our second or third language and whenever we are told to speak or right on a specific topic we start collecting thoughts in our first language, however we should slowly do away with this practice and start thinking or converting and collecting whatever thoughts we have in english.
    ENGLISH IS A LIFE SKILL

It is important for you to understand that English mastery also involves the acquisition of five critical skills sets:

– Reading;
    – Thinking;
    – Listening;
    – Speaking;
    – Writing

– Reading an English story book regularly, or the daily English newspaper; better still, writing down what you have learned from the story or the news; in the case of news, expand your writing with your view of their implications, say politically, economically, technologically and/or social-demographically;

– Watching an English movie without subtitles [you can always ‘Pause” and/or “Playback” to recap/review useful dialogues]; better still, write down your impressions and/or feelings about the movie, say in the form of a movie review;

– Listening to pod-casts in English, or the English news broadcasts, like the BBC

– Finding one daily news article in your native language, and translating it into English to the best of your ability; this is absolutely good practice to perfect your thinking and writing in English;

– Listening to, and singing in the shower with, English songs, as a means to practise your pronunciation.

– Grabbing any postcard or photo or picture at random, and proceeding to describe in detail, first orally (on to recorder of your smartphone), and later in written form, what’s in the picture.

Meanwhile, I like to recommend you to carry a pocket notebook with you at all times.

Whenever you are on the streets, pay attention to the wall posters, bill-boards, window displays, bulletin boards, or even signboards, where English is displayed.

If you come across new or unknown words, jot them down in your pocket notebook for reviewing at home with the aid of a dictionary.

Then, use the famed flash card strategy to master these new words.

Make it a habit to learn at least ten new words a day. In a year, you would have learned more than 3,500 words!

Look around you. Can you identify all the places or landmarks in English. If not, jot them down for reviewing at home.

• #7126 Reply
     Mugeera Patel 

Start reading everything that you get your hands on.
    Learn new words and try using them in your daily sentences, one easy way of doing this is to read newspapers. Also There is A book of Norman Lewis called word power made easy. It help you understand the deepest root/sounds of words and in what context they are to be used.
    Start thinking in english
    Very often english is our second or third language and whenever we are told to speak or right on a specific topic we start collecting thoughts in our first language, however we should slowly do away with this practice and start thinking or converting and collecting whatever thoughts we have in english.
    ENGLISH IS A LIFE SKILL

It is important for you to understand that English mastery also involves the acquisition of five critical skills sets:

– Reading;
    – Thinking;
    – Listening;
    – Speaking;
    – Writing

– Reading an English story book regularly, or the daily English newspaper; better still, writing down what you have learned from the story or the news; in the case of news, expand your writing with your view of their implications, say politically, economically, technologically and/or social-demographically;

– Watching an English movie without subtitles [you can always ‘Pause” and/or “Playback” to recap/review useful dialogues]; better still, write down your impressions and/or feelings about the movie, say in the form of a movie review;

– Listening to pod-casts in English, or the English news broadcasts, like the BBC

– Finding one daily news article in your native language, and translating it into English to the best of your ability; this is absolutely good practice to perfect your thinking and writing in English;

– Listening to, and singing in the shower with, English songs, as a means to practise your pronunciation.

– Grabbing any postcard or photo or picture at random, and proceeding to describe in detail, first orally (on to recorder of your smartphone), and later in written form, what’s in the picture.

Meanwhile, I like to recommend you to carry a pocket notebook with you at all times.

Whenever you are on the streets, pay attention to the wall posters, bill-boards, window displays, bulletin boards, or even signboards, where English is displayed.

If you come across new or unknown words, jot them down in your pocket notebook for reviewing at home with the aid of a dictionary.

Then, use the famed flash card strategy to master these new words.

Make it a habit to learn at least ten new words a day. In a year, you would have learned more than 3,500 words!

Look around you. Can you identify all the places or landmarks in English. If not, jot them down for reviewing at home.

• #7142 Reply
     karanmehta_97 

Hello there, even I had the same problem as you. Here is what I would want to share which will help you to improve your English.

1) Something that I always regret is lack of reading books, newspapers etc. The early you start reading books and newspapers the better it’s for you. At the early stages you will find it boring but gradually you’ll enjoy and get a good footing over it.

2) I would suggest you to start reading easy books and newspapers. The editorial page of any newspaper and after reading it try to write it and show it to someone see what is their response.

3) Start communicating in English.

I wouldn’t say that my English is very good but it has improved alot from what it was. Just follow what I shared it should just help you.

• #7202 Reply
     mun123 

Hi, firstly learning English is not so difficult just remember some basic points: Reading, speaking, writing and listening skills.
    • Don’t be afraid to make mistakes,this will make you learn and will encourage you to correct your mistakes.
    • Be confident.
    • Surround yourself in english, tell your friends and family to speak in english to get a better way of learning.
    • Practising everyday will make you stick to your goals, make a study plan at least according to a week to have an idea.
    • Keep a notebook of new words for a better revision.
    • Interact with people in english as much as you can as this will help you know more new words.
    • You can also learn online from an english website.
    • Every week take your test and will notice you are improving day by day.
    • Watch more English movies/ DVDs, as it will benefit your accent of speaking english.
    • Start from children’s textbook as it is easier for you and a good beginning.
    • Take help of your english teachers, they will help in pronunciation of words better.
    • See what works best for you, do according to you and stick to it.
    • Know meanings of each words.
    Start from today itself with your routines and get to work.
    Good luck dear.

• #7204 Reply
     Laxmipriya 
    In a globalized world as today, being fluent in English is equally imperative as anything else. It includes both- writing aswell as speaking good English. Being good at English is not something innate and one has to give conscious effort to improve it. The following ways have been used and tested for improving English and I am confident that they’ll be useful to you too.
    1. Read: Read whatever comes your way – magazines, books, blogs, newspaper and anything and everything in English. While reading keep in mind that you are reading to learn and not just spell out the words without getting the meaning of it. Try understanding what the writer is trying to convey.
    A) Focus on vocabulary: Only learning the basics is not enough in this competitive fast-pacing world. To standout from the crowd of people, you need to be unique and impressive. Revamping your vocabulary and learning new phrases will get the job done. Instead of ignoring a new word, google its meaning , pronounciation aswell as synonyms and note down in a notebook. ( Vocabulary.com is a really helpful and user understanding site to refer.) Do not forget to use it often else it will creep out of your lexicon. At regular intervals you must go through the notebook and recall all the new words you learnt.
    B) Grammar It is one of the most important aspect which is often ignored. You need to learn the right English and not just for the sake of it. Grammar is  the soul of English. And you have to correct it by referring to some books for example Wren & Martin.

3. Write: Only learning is redundant which is never going to get you to your goal unless you know how to use it. And that is when writing comes into play. Everyday make sure that you write. Something. Anything. Atleast a paragraph. It can be about what you did the whole day, a memory, about someone or something or just any topic that interests you. And while writing keep in mind to use whatever you have been learning, which is vital. Share your writings with people to proofread them and ask for their suggestions and corrections.
    4. Other ways: Learning something isn’t confined to just reading and writing. Watching English movies and series come as a great help honestly. I have come across many non-english medium students who thank movies for their amazing English. So headlong rush to grab your list of movies and series and learn while enjoying.
    5. Speak: It’s inevitable to do mistakes in the process of learning something new. So it’s quite obvious to make a few or more errors but that must not stop you from trying in the firsthand itself. Never shy away from speaking in English because that will finally make you acquainted and confident with it.  Participate in debate, extempore and group discussion to overcome your fear. Communicate in English as much as possible.
    It’s never too late to begin to learn something and remember consistency is the key for realising your dreams. So start and never stop learning the beautiful language of English.
  • #7222 Reply

Hello!

Firstly I advise you to speak English out in the public with people you know and meet on a regular basis, even if what you are saying is wrong grammatically. Don’t shy away! Because if you don’t start speaking the language how will you improve it in the first place, right? Also, insist others to talk with you in English so that you and the other person can benefit from this exercise.

Read Books! Cultivate the habit of reading books, they are an awesome source of English and knowledge. You will learn how to form good sentences without making any grammatical errors.

Read Newspapers. Newspapers are also great when it comes to improving English. If you don’t have time to read the whole newspaper, read whatever is interesting to you in the paper, like the sports page or the technology page. Start reading and understanding and you will feel like reading more.

Download the dictionary app on your smartphone. It will come in handy whenever you come across a difficult word, you can instantly pull out your phone and learn a new word and use it in your daily life.

Watch English movies without subtitles. Download or rent good English and try to watch the whole movie without any subtitles. Try to understand what they are saying and get used to the accent and how they speak. If you have difficulty following what they are trying to say then turn on subtitles and then watch it again.

Good English speakers and writers do not make any grammatical errors when they speak or write. To avoid this, you can buy the Wren and Martin Grammer book which is really really helpful for people who want to improve English.

Hope this post helps!

• #7230 Reply
     Manikanta 

Hello Ritesh,

There are several types of ways to improve your command over English language.In the present generation it is very important to be able to converse in English with the people.There are several courses available in the market which says that they will make sure that you will learn English perfectly but they can be useful only to learn the basics. We can personally improve the English only when we converse with the people more freely.Giving seminars,presentations can be more helpful in achieving the required control over the language more effectively.

Finally whatever the courses you go to or how many books you refer to,the only thing which will be more advantage to you is that only when you speak freely in the public.

Only this type of training will help you in achieving your target.

• #7232 Reply
     varun gupta 

Hello rajesh

The best thing o learn English fast is easy there are many ways to learn English. Giving you of my example I am very bad in English when I am class 7th now days I am doing internship of content writing and I am also talking with foriners with no hesitation.

The ways for learning English

1. Read newspaper everyday that will help u a lot as there is a good source of content inside it and reading that will help u a lot

2. Is listen to English songs and movies as the singer and the actors are speaking English which help you to prononciate easily

3. Thing is to use stranger chat and others app to help chatting and interacting with foriners which help a lot

• #7246 Reply
     Antsak 

Hello Ritesh!

I would tell that learning English is very important because English is the Lingua franca, meaning, the language that is spoken all over the world. So, it’s better if you learn English.

The ways to improve English are simple 1. Listen: The more you listen, the more you learn and your vocabulary increases.

2. Read: read newspapers, magazine or books. You will know the grammatical way of forming sentences and sometimes, you really don’t need to make up your own sentences, you can just directly quote and the person you are having a conversation with will be impressed.

Talk: Talk to people in English even if they don’t. I come from a local University and people laughed at me for trying to talk in English. I am now in my final year and you can read the improvement. Yes, they will make fun but never give up.

Think: There is something called ‘thinking language,’ this means that the language you think in. So, if you are making any plans in your head then try to talk yourself in English and practice talking in front of the mirror. Also, try and write down your thoughts.

Hope this helps you and if it does then please let me know. 🙂

• #7326 Reply

Hai,

You have good writing skills in English. However, to improve the oral communication, start communicating only in English with everyone you meet including your family members, irrespective of gramitical mistakes.

While communicating in English, you may find someone with excellent command over English.

Try to find out such person & let that person correct your mistakes & you need to consider such situations positively.

Start chatting in English on any of the social network sites.

Do not type abbrevated language. Type words with exact spelling

Slowly you can improve your oral communication & can get command on English.

• #7384 Reply
     Sandra Jenson 

Hi

READING, LISTENING and SPEAKING these are the three major steps any person trying to learn any language must follow. In order to learn a language a person should read a lot and I mean a lot .it doesn’t have to be any complicated stuff like Shakespeare or anything, start with something simple, small and interesting. You will be surprised how quickly your curiosity increases and you’ll be craving to read more.

I learned to speak English mostly by watching English channels. It started with cartoons and then movies and so on. Believe me it works!

Also try communicating in the language with people you are comfortable speaking in English with. it will build your confidence. DO NOT worry about making mistakes ever. Learn from them instead. Wish u all the best.

• #7392 Reply
     Akshay Rijhwani 

• Use an app called Duolingo.
    • Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Be confident. People can only correct your mistakes when they hear you make them.
    • Surround yourself in English. Put yourself in an all English speaking environment where you can learn passively. The best way to learn is through speaking.
    • Practise every day. Make yourself a study plan. Decide how much time a week you are going to spend studying and stick to it. Establish a routine.
    • Tell your family and friends about your study plan. Get them to push you to study and also don’t let them interrupt you.
    • Practise the 4 core skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening. They all need to be worked on for you to improve.
    • Keep a notebook of new words you learn. Use them in sentences and try to say them at least 3 times when you speak.
    • Memorisation of lists is one of the most common ways of learning vocabulary for a test. It’s only a good exercise for short term studying because you often do not retain the information that you have learned for a test.
    • Use your body clock. If you’re not a morning person, study in the afternoon.
    • You will find words easier to remember if you try to remember an example sentence using that word rather the word on its own.
    • Plan to take a test. You’ll find that you work harder when you need to study for something.
    • Saying that, it’s better not to study just to take a test. Think of the bigger picture. What can you do when you have a good command of English? How will the quality of your life improve?
    • Give yourself a long term goal. Focus on working towards it.
    • Give yourself short term goals too and reward yourself when you achieve each one.
    • Create an atmosphere in which you want to learn, not because you have to. You’ll learn more when you’re learning because you want to.
    • Know what works best for you. Think about what methods have been successful for you in the past and stick with them.
    • Figure out how you learn. It can be by memorising, reading, speaking, summarising or other methods. Find out how you study best. It can be in a quiet place by yourself or with a group.
    • Get help! If you don’t understand something you’ve got to ask someone. Ask your teacher, classmates or friends for help.
    • Review! Review! Review! Make sure that you take the time to review things you have studied in the past.
    • It’s not a good idea to study on your own for more than 30 minutes at a time. Take regular breaks, get some fresh air and stretch your legs.
    • Don’t be in such a hurry to move up a level. Concentrate on the level you are at now.
    • Watch DVDs rather than TV. It’s better to use something that you can watch over again to catch information you might have missed the first time.
    • Watching TV only gives you the chance to hear something correctly first time. This is better for high level students. It can be great practice for speaking to native English speakers so you don’t have to ask them to repeat themselves!
    • Read graded readers. These books are especially written for your level. Read a whole novel. You can do it! You’ll feel great afterwards.
    • Children’s books have easier words and are a good alternative to graded readers.
    • Newspapers are a good place to find passive constructs. Read through an article and see if you can find the passive sentences.
    • Read for the general meaning first. Don’t worry about understanding every word, then go back and look up new words.
    • For a word you don’t understand in a sentence, look at the other words around it. They will give you a hint. Try to guess the meaning from the context.
    • Learn root words. They’ll help you guess the meaning of words. For example: scrib = write, min = small
    • When you learn a new word, think of all its other forms: Beautiful (adjective), beauty (noun), beautifully (adverb).
    • Learn prefixes (dis-, un-, re-) and suffixes (-ly, -ment, -ful), these will help you to figure out the meaning of words and build your vocabulary.
    • English, unlike Japanese or French, uses word stress. For new words, count the syllables and find where the stress is. Only one stress per word and always on a vowel. Two syllable verbs have a stress on the second syllable (beGIN). 2 syllable nouns (TEAcher) and adjectives (HAPpy) stress the first.
    • Use English whenever you can. It’s as simple as that!
    • Don’t translate into English from your own language. Think in English to improve your fluency. Talk to yourself…but not on the bus otherwise people will think you have gone crazy!
    • You can’t learn English from a book. Like driving a car, you can only learn through doing it.
    • The most natural way to learn grammar is through talking.
    • Keep an English diary or journal. Start by writing a few sentences a day and then get into the habit of writing more.
    • Why not start an online blog and share your writings with the world?
    • To become a better writer brainstorm as many ideas and thoughts onto paper without worrying about grammar or spelling. Then think about the structure. After that, write your piece using good grammar and spelling. Finally, read it through or give it to someone else to check for mistakes.
    • Keep an eye on your punctuation as it can totally change what you’re trying to say. Check out the difference in meaning between these two sentences: “A woman without her man is nothing” and “A woman: without her, man is nothing”.
    • Sing your heart out! Show the world your beautiful voice! Learn English songs and sing along with them to improve fluency and intonation… anyone for Karaoke?
    • Get a penfriend or use chat-rooms, forums and community sites. If you can’t speak to someone in English, this is the next best thing.
    • Shadow English CDs. Listen to a few sentences then repeat what you heard. Focus on the rhythm and intonation.
    • Have English radio on in your house. Even if you are not actively listening to it, you will still be training your ears.
    • Mirror CDs. Read out loud along with a CD. Again, this is great for intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
    • Dictation. Listen to a CD or friend and write down what you hear.
    • Nobody likes to hear their own voice, but be brave and try it! Record your voice and listen to your pronunciation and intonation. It will help you to identify your problem areas.
    • Ask your helpful teacher if you can record his lesson. This is a great way to review. You can also listen to your teachers speaking speed and intonation.
    • Use an English/English dictionary as it will help you to keep thinking in English and not translating.
    • If an English/English dictionary seems scary, there are learner’s dictionaries for English students of your level.
    • Don’t become too reliant on your dictionary. Your dictionary should be an aid, not your main teacher. Try to guess the meaning of words rather than going straight for your dictionary.
    • Don’t give up! Stay positive! Sometimes you will feel that you aren’t learning quickly enough. Everyone feels like this, don’t worry about it. You’ll get there in the end.
    • Enjoy it! We learn more when we are having fun!

• #8772 Reply
     shresthi24 

Hi

It is not a big issue and it is not something for what you should be ashamed of . Just think yourself as a beginner and always starve to learn something new and new. The more you have passion of learning English, the fast you can learn. There are some steps that will surely help you to improve our English.

(i) Always try to communicate with others in English. Never mind ,What others will think or whether you are speaking correct or not.

(ii) Start watching English serials/series/Movies along with their subtitles. So that you can understand .Not only this try to use their dialogues in your day to day life.

(iii) Reading novels, newspapers,articles is also a way to improve your  English. Always make a note of vocabulary and try to use that in your conversation.

(iv) Apart from this, start to learn grammar  and try to improve your grammatical errors day by day.

(v) You must have heard , AS YOU LABOUR , SO THE PAY. So,ultimately it’s all on you.

One more thing, Start learning a new thing is easy and fascinating but to reach till end become more and more challenging.Many people lose their hope in mid-way. Always make a note”He who begins and does not finish loses his labour”.

Have Patience and be laborious.This is the key for learning not only English but anything.

P.s. – Some video tutorials are also available on “edugorilla.com” site. Go and take a look.

All the very best

• #8878 Reply
     Shubham Gupta 

A journey of thousand miles start with a single step. And that single and most efficient step is to remove hesitation and fear of being laughed at. You’ll have to admit that initially people will laugh at you but no one has gained anything by mocking anyone else. You’ll have to try and deliver with confidence only to realize that after people will accept you and see you as a fluent spokesperson. You’ll have to fake it till you make it. It worked for me. Best of luck!

• #9020 Reply

1.Keep practicing because “practice makes a man perfect”.

2.Don’t lose your confidence at all.

3.Speaking is the second phase ,understanding is the first phase.You need to  understand what  the other person is saying .Only then you can talk to him or else you will make a fool of yourself.

3.Watch Hollywood movies without​ subtitles.Try to understand the conversation.

4.Watch english news BBC,NDTV etc

5.Converse with your friends and family in english because they will tell your mistakes and will never let you down.

ALL THE BEST

• #9038 Reply
     Arathi Nayak 

Read as much as you can. Start with simple books and magazines. Then gradually move on to harder books. Read the newspaper every day
    Try to write something every day. A story, a poem or simply the things that happened in your day since morning.
    Find someone to converse in English with.
    Ask for criticism and work on the feedback
    Watch English T.V. shows and movies without subtitles in your language.
    As a child, we learned our mother tongue through observing the people around us speak. So try to create a similar atmosphere for yourself that enables you to learn english.

Reply To: Tips to improve English
Your information:

GET UPTO 50%    OFF!
Verify Yourself

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account