This topic contains 0 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Vishesh Saraswat Vishesh Saraswat 2 months ago.

• Author
    Vishesh Saraswat Vishesh Saraswat 

Hi, I am Palak from Pune. I have done graduation with 76 per cent. Presently, I am preparing for CAT 2017. I want to score high marks in Reading and Comprehension Section. How do toppers approach RC Section. Do they understand every word in the passage ?

• #9714 Reply
    Asad yar Khan Asad yar Khan 

Hi Palak!

To score high marks in Reading and Comprehension Section Reading Comprehension (RC) Passages you require:

• Reading Ability
    • Comprehension and ability to re-collect key facts/ideas and
    • Ability to solve different types of questions

Reading & Comprehension  

RC section is to test your patience and your ability to read for long.Hence, you need to build a habit of reading newspapers, magazines and other easy to read material before going for anything advanced. You can start with fiction. Then move to reading non-fiction and other subject material/books. Though, improvement of reading speed is important but even if you have a decent reading speed that will do. Your reading speed will improve over a period of time.

Then, in comprehension, your ability to understand the passage in terms of writer’s point of view. The flow of thoughts and tone, all are very important in solving the passages. Your good comprehension skills or the ability to understand act as a real boost for solving the passages easily.

Some of the common problems that students face in reading comprehension are:

1. Slow reading speed
    2. Lack of concentration
    3. Lack of retention ability
    4. No familiarity with key terms
    5. Poor vocabulary
    6. Poor comprehension skills

To improve your comprehension skills you should-

• Read a lot
    • Build a habit of writing down summary and central idea of the passage
    • Think about and Visualize the content in your mind
    • Practice, practice, practice

Question Types

The questions in Reading Comprehension passages are almost the same.

It can be classified into 6 categories and based on each type of category there is a different strategy for solving the question.

Acquiring good reading habit your ability to solve RC passages increases manifold.

Hope it helps!

Reply To: How do toppers attempt Reading Comprehension Passage(R.C) in CAT exams?
Your information:

Verify Yourself

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account