- 04/25/2019 at 1:58 pm #616988EduGorillaKeymasterSelect Question Language :
Directions: In this question, one or more principles are given followed by some facts. Read the principle(s) carefully and apply it/them to the given facts and choose the correct option accordingly.
Principle: All citizens shall have the right to freedom of speech and expression subject to reasonable restrictions.
Facts: ‘Samachaar’ is a weekly magazine which prints and also digitally publishes paid advertisements from businessmen, traders and professionals. Rule 5 of the Indian Advertisements Act requires permission of the Advertising Agency of India headquartered at Mumbai before publication of any advertisement. The object behind the rule was to check the publication of advertisements promoting the sale of certain goods which are in violation of social norms and moral principles. Rakesh Mehra editor of ‘Samachaar’- challenged Rule 5 of the said Act as being violative of his right to freedom of speech and expression.
Post your Training /Course EnquiryAre You looking institutes / coaching center for
- No, because this is matter related to trade and commerce and promotion of business. Hence, it cannot be covered under the ambit of Article 19(1)(a).
- No, because the Rule is a reasonable restriction on the exercise of freedom of speech and expression.
- No, because commercial speech is not a part of freedom of speech and expression.
- Yes, because commercial speech is also a part of freedom of speech and expression guaranteed under Article 19(1)(a).
- IIT-JEE, NEET, CAT
- Bank PO, SSC, Railways
- Study Abroad