This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  EduGorilla 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     EduGorilla 
    Keymaster
    Select Question Language :

Direction: In the following passage, there are blanks each of which has been numbered. These numbers correspond to the question numbers. Against each question, five words have been suggested, four of which can fill each blank appropriately. Find the word that cannot fill the blank appropriately.

As 15-year-old Perry (11) into my office, with his parents trailing tentatively behind, he glanced at me with a strained neutral expression that I’d found usually masked either great anger or great distress; in Perry’s case it was both. Although anorexia is a (12) most often associated with girls, Perry was the third in a line of anorexic boys I had recently seen. When he came to see me, Perry’s weight had dropped drastically.
    “He just won’t eat,” his mother began. Then, turning to Perry as if to show me the routine they’d been (13), she asked with tears in her eyes, “Perry, why can’t you at least have a simple dinner with us?” Perry refused to eat with his family, always claiming he wasn’t hungry at the time and that he preferred to eat later in his room, except that that rarely happened. New menus, gentle encouragement, veiled (14), nagging, and outright bribes had all been tried, to no avail.
    Let’s be clear from the outset. Perry was a smart, good kid: shy, unassuming, and generally unlikely to cause trouble. But beneath his academic (15), Perry faced a world of troubles, and while he took a while to get to know, eventually the problems came pouring out. The problems weren’t what I’d expected, though. Perry wasn’t abused, he didn’t do drugs, and his family wasn’t driven by conflict. Rather, at first glance, his problems would seem more like typical (16) complaints. And they were, in a way. But it was only as I got to understand him that I realized the adolescent problems Perry experienced weren’t just occasional irritations, as they’d been for me and my cohorts as teens. One big problem was that while Perry was a strong achiever, he was not at all a happy one. “I hate waking up in the morning because there’s all this stuff I have to do,” he said. “I just keep making lists of things to do and (17) them off each day. Not just schoolwork, but extracurricular activities, so I can get into a good college.”
    Once he got started, Perry’s discontent spilled out in a frustrated monologue.
    “There’s so much to do, and I have to really work to get myself (18) because I feel like none of it really matters… but it’s really important I do it anyway. At the end of it all, I stay up late, I get all my homework done, and I study really hard for all my tests, and what do I get to show for it all?
    Perry was well loved by his parents, as are most of the young people we see. But in their efforts to nurture and support him, his parents (19) increased his mental strain. Over time, they had taken on all his household chores, in order to leave him more time for schoolwork and activities. Although removing the chores from Perry’s plate gave him a bit more time, it ultimately left him feeling even more (20) and tense. He never really did anything for anyone except suck up their time and money, and he knew it.
    Find the inappropriate word in each case.

Options :-

1. Checking
    2. Analysing
    3. Neglecting
    4. Confirming
    5. Monitoring
    Post your Training /Course Enquiry
    Are You looking institutes / coaching center for
    • IIT-JEE, NEET, CAT
    • Bank PO, SSC, Railways
    • Study Abroad
    Select your Training / Study category
Reply To: Direction: In the following passage, there are blanks each of which has been numbered. These numbers….
Your information:

Verify Yourself

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account