This topic contains 0 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  harshithsalian 5 months ago.

• Author
     harshithsalian 

Hello

I’m Harshith with 6 years of experience as mechanical engineer. But now I’m interested to make a career as a data scientist. I have been accepted into MS programme in USA & Ireland which has Data Science as the subject.

My question is after completing the MS programme will it be tough for me to get a job provided my previous experience is non-relevant. Will I looked down on suspicion.

Moreover in USA, its 60-70% of Data science curriculum, whereas in Ireland its a very comprehensive data science program. Also let me know which country would be better. Should I give more importance to course curriculum or the country…

Regards

Harshith

• #4816 Reply
     admin 
    Keymaster

Hi Harshit,

Happy to help.

What is your priority? You want to become a Data Scientist or you want to settle in USA? In MS, what’s the specialization you got?

My question is after completing the MS programme will it be tough for me to get a job provided my previous experience is non-relevant. Will I looked down on suspicion.

After you switch domains, you will most probably end up in entry level jobs as your work experience will be irrelevant. Your 6 years experience in Mechanical Engineering might go in vein.

Moreover in USA, its 60-70% of Data science curriculum, whereas in Ireland its a very comprehensive data science program.

Let me put it forward this way: Data science as just another subject along with other 15+ subjects in USA or specialization in Data Science in Ireland. Ireland one is obviously more extensive.

Also let me know which country would be better.

In what context? For living and job, USA is better.

Should I give more importance to course curriculum or the country…

Read out this article: https://edugorilla.com/passion-versus-profession/. Upto you. At the end of the day, you should be sure that you will not want to change profession again after spending substantial amount in new profession. That time will be too late to recover.

Let me know your further queries.

Reply To: career switch from mechanical engineer to data scientist
Your information:

Comment

Verify Yourself

GET UPTO 50% OFF!
icon

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account