This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Meya Dadada 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Meya Dadada 
    Participant

Canoe sprint: Defending champion Carrington sets the pace to reach Olympic semi-finals

New Zealand’s double Olympic champion Lisa Carrington dominated her slot168 women’s kayak single 200 metres heat at Sea Forest Waterway on Monday (Aug 2) to storm into the semi-finals of the competition.

The 32-year-old, who is chasing a third straight gold in the event after victories in London 2012 and Rio 2016, went fastest among the direct qualifiers for the last-four stage from five heats with a time of 40.715 seconds.

Carrington said her immediate focus was not on securing a hat-trick of Olympic titles.

“I just want to go out there and perform my best,” she said. “We’ve been doing a lot of hard work in the last five years, so I want to show the world what I can do and what we can do as a team.”

Poland’s Marta Walczykiewicz, the Rio silver medallist, also advanced to the semi-finals with a time of 41.100 seconds in hot and humid conditions, along with Denmark’s Emma Jorgensen who clocked 41.572 seconds.

The top two from each heat advanced to the semi-finals with the remaining competitors later facing off in a series of quarter-finals. The semis and final take place on Tuesday.

“It’s nice not to go to the quarters … now I can go home, relax and have a massage,” Jorgensen, who claimed silver ahead of Carrington in the Rio K-1 500m competition, said.

“I don’t think it’s that warm. I like the warm weather so it’s not that big of a deal. I’m getting the sunscreen on and have a cold towel so we’re well prepared.”

Carrington later partnered Caitlin Regal to reach the last-four stage of the kayak double 500m event.

The Chinese pair of Liu Hao and Zheng Pengfei laid down a marker in the men’s canoe double 1000m, winning their heat in three minutes, 37.783 seconds.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Meya Dadada.
Reply To: Canoe sprint: Defending champion Carrington sets the pace to reach Olympic semi-
Your information:

Verify Yourself

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account