- 06/30/2016 at 12:00 am #407Arpit Raj MallMember
I’am confused between M.B.A. and P.G.D.M.?? So Please give me suggestion for Government & Private jobs in future??
- 12/17/2016 at 12:00 am #5626Shraddha GoelMember
- The difference between MBA and PGDM
- PGDM courses are updated according to changes in the industry and hence offer you relevant and current syllabi as compared to an MBA course. This is because an autonomous institution i.e. not falling under a University has the autonomy to rapidly regulate its curriculu instead of following the herd.
- Second, colleges that offer PGDM courses since are autonomous, need to be verified regarding their accreditation by AICTE. MBA colleges fall under Universities and Universities are under regulation by UGC so students may not need to take much caution comparatively.
- If PGDM course is not accredited, it may not be considered equal to MBA.
- MBA is more affordable than PGDM as the fee structure is regulated in the same manner by all the Universities.
- MBA pays more attention to improving the technical skills and theoretical, business knowledge. Whereas as stated above, PDGM offers more of practical based, industry relevant knowledge.
Hence if you are looking for a challenging role as a Manager in the corporate world, you are suggested to go for PGDM.
Also the government jobs are available all the time and since PGDM and MBA are more or less similar, no distinction is made usually in the government jobs when an MBA or PGDM degree is required for a relevant post. Hence you can pursue any and be relaxed because you will get a government job or a private job through both the courses.
Government jobs offer less salary, more job security, more perks and less development opportunities as compared to a private job. Hence weigh your preferences and decide where you wish to work.
- 01/03/2017 at 12:00 am #6594Olivia DasMember
PGDM : Post Graduate Diploma in Management
MBA – Master of Business Administration.
If you have a MBA degree you can proudly proclaim that you are a post graduate but in case of PGDM you are a diploma holder in a post graduate course.Otherwise, PGDM is equivalent to MBA.
The advantage of a MBA degree over PGDM are :
1. You can opt for govt jobs mainly PSU where MBA degree is required
2. You can do a PhD if you have MBA degree
How does MBA or PGDM Impact your career?
In purely an Indian context, there is NO DIFFERENCE when it comes to how the industry treats PGDM and MBA graduate. If you see, 9 out of top 10 B Schools in India offer PGDM / PGP and not MBA. This is the testimony to the fact that there is no difference between the two in India.
Career growth is same in both.
Let us divide the analysis in Global context in two parts: Jobs perspective and Higher Education (like PhD or double MBA) perspective.
From job perspective, there is no difference even in global arena, especially if you are coming from a reputed B School of India.
From the perspective of Higher Education; yes there is a difference and having an MBA degree helps you a bit more as compared to having a Diploma (PGDM / PGP). Though, the difference is minuscule of just a point or two when it comes to the evaluation of your application form for higher education as MBA gets you marked against Masters Degree while PGDM/PGP gets you marked against Masters-Diploma.
So, if you are not looking for higher studies, then whether you have MBA or PGDM doesn’t matter. What matters is you are coming from which college, its industry perception and similar aspects.
Examples of PGDM/PGP Institutes in India are- IIMs ,XLRI, SP Jain, NMIMS (Banglore/Hyderabad) etc.
Examples of MBA colleges in India are- IIFT , JBIMS , FMS ,NMIMS(Mumbai)SIBM (Pune), IITs etc.
P.S.- MBA is cheaper and more affordable than PGDM. But choose the one which suits your needs (further studies in abroad or job in India/abroad)!